The Bi-Centennial Railway Museum was opened in 1988 to commemorate the men who built the Great Northern Railway. The Armidale Railway Station was built by Edmond Lonsdale in 1882, and welcomed its first train in February 1883. The fine cast iron work was completed at New England Foundry in Uralla by Henry Sheldon Goddard. The ornamental chimneys and mouldings are typical of buildings of this period.
At its peak it was the largest single employer in the district.