Walks & Trails in the Alpine Region
The walking tracks of Bright are picturesque and showcase the beautiful township, rivers, forests and wildlife of the area. There are many short walks which will show you the natural beauty of Bright and Surrounds.
Porepunkah, a small town located 6 kilometres from Bright, hosts several small shops and a hotel, with the central feature, the magnificent Ovens River.
Historic Wandiligong, located 6 kilometres south of Bright, is registered with the National Trust as a classified landscape.
Walks in surrounding towns & areas include:
Mt Buffalo, Myrtleford, Mount Beauty,Harrietville and the Alpine National Park
Hiking - good outdoor fresh family fun
Important Information and Cautions
Weather conditions can change rapidly in alpine areas snowfalls and blizzards can be experienced at any time of the year.
Be prepared with:
• Wind and waterproof jackets
• Warm clothing- hat, gloves and strong footwear
• First aid kit for longer walks
• Energy food and enough water for the day
• Compass and relevant topographical map
• Let someone know before you go and ensure you check road conditions before setting out. Many roads and tracks are closed seasonally during the colder, wetter months for environmental and safety reasons.