Top 5 Coober Pedy attractions
You won't be bored when you visit Coober Pedy. Not just an underground town, there is also plenty of interesting things to see and do above ground too! Read below for our 5 favourite attractions in Coober Pedy and the best way to see them all in one day...
The Breakaways are not to be missed!
We'll go straight to the biggest attraction (literally) in town...
1) The Breakaways* - breathtaking views not to be missed with fantastic viewpoints located 25km north of town.
2) The Dog Fence* - marvel at this man-made structure, in fact the longest continual construction in the world, stretching 5,300km.
3) Umoona Opal Mine & Museum* - this original old mine on the main street is a "must see" in Coober Pedy. Take a guided tour, view a genuine dug-out home on display and learn all the facts at the historic opal mining interpretive centre and Aboriginal interpretive centre.
4) Underground Church* - our favourite of the four underground churches is the Serbian Orthodox Church for its lovely carvings into the rock and stunning acoustics.
5) Underground Home* - there are a few options in town, including the home at the Umoona Mine, but for a taste of modern underground dwellings, make sure you join on of our Stuart Range Outback Bus Tours and exclusively see a new home being dug out!
*You can see all of our favourite attractions above on one of our Stuart Range Outback Bus Tours (www.stuartrangeoutbackresort.com.au/coober-pedy-tours), leaving daily from the resort from late-April to mid-October. This 5 hour tour is a great comprehensive overview of everything ‘Coober Pedy’ with a local guide.
Make sure you book your seat online to avoid disappointment during the busy winter months.
Call: 1800 067 787