MURRAMARANG NATIONAL PARK:
BIG4 Racecourse Beach Tourist Park is surrounded by beautiful national parks, just walk directly out onto the beach and you can join the coastal trek through the Murramarang National Park, a unique coastal area that boasts the beautiful Spotted Gum Trees which grow right to the foreshores. Walk from Kioloa across to Pebbly Beach where you will see the many “surfing kangaroos”, a huge kangaroo population that are usually happy to pose for photos. Hike across the headland to Pretty Beach, (as beautiful as it sounds) and the perfect place to have an afternoon picnic in the sunshine and let the kids play in the sheltered bay.
There are plenty of other walking options in the Murramarang National Park including the following listed below.
- Durras Lake Discovery Trail: An easy 1.5km walk through the centre of the Murramarang National park. There are some great displays that take you through the history of the forest and early logging which has left much of the rainforest here endangered. There are stepping stones, a lookout tower and log walk, as well as plenty of wildlife including red-necked wallabies, kangaroos, crimson rosellas and new holland honey eaters. Grade 3, 1.5km loop. Time suggested: 30min - 1hr 30min. Gentle slopes, no experience necessary.
- Depot Beach Rainforest Walk: A lovely walk through lush rainforest, with beautiful places for a swim, surf, snorkel or a paddle at Depot Beach when you return. Grade 3, 0.4km loop, Time suggested: 15 - 45min. Gentle slopes, no experience necessary.
- Dark Beach Walking Track: A secluded beach and unique rock formations awaits you at the end of this gorgeous walk, perfect for fishing, swimming or snorkelling and coupled with unique rock formations. Grade 3, 0.5km return. Time suggested: 15 - 30min. Gentle slopes, no experience necessary.
- Myrtle Beach Walking Track: This short walk takes you through the “enchanted forest” an incredible display of stunted spotted gum forest that have been warped and twisted by the salt air and coastal winds. The walk ends at isolated Myrtle Beach’s stunning shores, surrounded by high cliffs. Perfect for a picnic, fishing, snorkelling, and swimming. You may even see a kangaroo on the beach! Grade 3. 0.6km return. Time suggested: 15 - 30min. Gentle slopes, no experience necessary.
- Wasp Head Walk: A short walk that leads to a stunning view of Wasp Island and passed through Aboriginal sites. Grade 3. 2km return. Time suggested: 30min - 1hr 30min. Gentle slopes, no experience necessary.
- Honeysuckle Beach Walking Trail: offers everything – beaches for swimming and fishing, forests, scenic ocean views and birdwatching. Grade 3. 2.5km return. Time suggested: 1 - 2hrs. Gentle slopes, no experience necessary.
- Pretty Beach to Snapper Point Walking Track: Perfect for the whole family, this track follows the headland and has stunning coastline views. You can head down to Merry Beach at the end if you feel like a longer walk. Grade 3. 1km return. Time suggested: 30min - 1hr. Gentle slopes, no experience necessary.
- Acheron Ledge Walking Trail: This starts further down the coast, closer to Bateman’s Bay and offers forest and beach, with opportunities for fishing, swimming and snorkelling in a remote and rustic location away from the crowds. Grade 3: 1.5km return. Time suggested: 30min - 1hr. Gentle slopes, no experience necessary.
- Oaky Beach Walking Track: If you want to walk through gum trees and rainforest to a secluded beach, this is the track for you. Grade 3: 2.4km return. Time suggested: 1hr - 1hr 30min. Gentle slopes, no experience necessary.
- Pebbly Beach to Snake Bay Walking Track: Off the beaten track with spectacular unspoilt coastline and remote beaches. Grade 3. 5.6km return. Time suggested: 1 - 2hrs. Gentle slopes, No experience necessary.
- Lake Walking Track: If you are looking for a longer walk through towering gums and kangaroo, wallaby and goanna sightings, this is an easy and beautiful lake walk for all the family. It’s also a wonderful walk for birdwatchers - complete with lyrebirds, wonga pigeons and eastern whipbird. Grade 3. 8km return. Time suggested: 2 - 4hrs. Gentle slopes, no experience necessary.
Looking for something a bit more challenging? Our Longer Walks
are for you.