Ali's Camp Oven Cooking
Ali's Camp Oven Tips
Camp Ovens for Hire
Ali's Camp Oven Lamb
You will find this recipe easy and delicious. If you have any questions, just ask Ali:
- 2.5kg leg of lamb bought from Flint Street Butchery, Forbes
- 1 pkt McCormick’s Slow Cooker Greek Lamb Mix
- 2 large onions
- 4 large chopped mushrooms, optional (it makes a delicious gravy base)
- Three large sprigs of Rosemary
- Chat potatoes
- Gravy powder E.g. Maggi Rich Gravy Mix from the IGA in town
- Bread Rolls or sourdough
- In a large camp oven place a wire rack.
- Fill with enough water to cover the rack (this helps the meat to stay juicy).
- Sit your lamb on the rack, sprinkle with half the packet of McCormick’s slow cooker Greek Lamb.
- Place onions cut into quarters around the lamb, season with salt and pepper.
- For a different twist, cut up four large mushrooms and place in the pot with the lamb and onions. This will be the base for your gravy.
- Put the lid on.
- Once you have enough hot coals from your fire pit. Separate them from the main fire area.
- Place a shovel full of coals on the ground, place the camp oven on top of the coals then shovel more coals on the lid of the camp oven. Cook for two hours, then add chat potatoes and cook a further hour. Do not let the water dry up, add more water if necessary and reduce the amount of coals. TIP - never put cold water into a hot cast iron pot, you will crack the pot.
- Check every half hour to see if the temperature is correctly cooking your delicious dinner. Add or reduce coals as needed.
- Once the meat is falling off the bone remove from the camp pot and set aside, also remove the potatoes and sprigs of rosemary.
- Mix up gravy powder with enough water to make a runny paste. Mix into the juices in the bottom of the pot to thicken.
- Serve meat and potatoes with dinner rolls and gravy.
Recommended local accompaniments:
* Lamb from Flint Street Butchery.
* Freshly baked bread rolls from Forbes Country Bake House.. mmmm smell that divine hot bread.
* Vegetables and other ingredients from Woolworths or IGA.
Call: 0268 521 055